Review - Tastykake Baked Cherry Pie

In my continuing search for a Cherry Pie as good as the Hostess Cherry Fruit Pies from my youth, I took a bit of a detour recently to try out a Tastykake baked cherry pie.

Tastykake Baked Cherry Pie Box



Tastykake Baked Cherry Pie with tin and box

The first thing I noticed upon opening the box was the sunken pie. It reminded me of a cake or two that my Mom baked when I was a kid, that I ruined from running and jumping around the oven.



Now with more fruit

Hmm.. that doesn't look like the picture on the box.
NOW WITH MORE FRUIT?
How much fruit was in there before??


So if the picture directly above is any indicator, this pie was anything but crispy or crunchy.  It was actually very soft in fact, and almost fell apart as I was holding it up for this picture. This is where the pie began to lose points for me. The crust was very soft and mushy in places where the cherry filling was in contact with.  A possible workaround though, is that this pie actually comes packaged in its very own little foil pan.  Popping this little guy in an oven at 300 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes would most likely make this pie divine! Not really something I would do, as snack cakes are more about instant gratification for me.

As for the filling, I wasn't super impressed. It of course looked nothing like the filling on the box, and had very few cherries inside of it. The taste however was sweet, tart, and tasted like real cherries. Other than way too little fruit, it's pretty much what you want in a cherry pie filling.

My summation.. 
A pie with great tasting filling, not enough cherries, and a soft & soggy crust. I can't say as I would buy this pie again. You know what? As I finished typing that last sentence, I realized I may have misspoke. I'm currently gearing up for an entirely new diet regimen, and these baked pies are way more healthier than your typical fruit pie. I am interested in seeing how these little guys taste after being crisped up in the oven, so I will buy this pie or another variety in the future to test them out.  I of course will share the result right here, so stay tuned.

Comments