Hostess Chocodiles are back!


Hostess Chocodile Mascot 'Chauncey the Chocodile'
CHAUNCEY SAYS:
    "IT TAKES A WHILE TO EAT A CHOCO-DILE"!


Chocodiles are back my friends! Well, they've been back, but they seem to be stocked sporadically throughout the year (at least in my neck of the woods). Chocodiles fell off the scene for awhile and reappeared in 2014 as 'Chocodile Twinkies'. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon the latest incarnation while placing my weekly grocery order online.


Hostess Chocodile snack cakes


As you can see, Chocodiles have now been re-branded as Fudge Covered Twinkies. 'The Chocodile' appears in a smaller font directly underneath the Twinkies logo as if the Chocodile brand name was an afterthought. I can see why Hostess still wants to throw the name in there, as plenty of people like me who see it, scramble to immediately grab a box.


Two great 15 second Chocodile commercials from the 70s..

I remember the Hostess company offering tons of different snack cakes back in the day. Twinkies were pretty much the flagship snack for Hostess, and just like 'Twinkie the Kid' was the mascot for Twinkies, just about every other Hostess snack cake had their own mascots as well. The Chocodile snack cake was no exception to the rule, with 'Chauncey Choco-Dile' serving as its personal mascot. 


Chocodiles in 1979
Original Chocodiles in 1979



Chocodile 2014 box
Re-release in 2014



Fudge covered Twinkies Chocodiles
Spring 2020


As far as the taste goes, I remember Chocodiles tasting a wee bit different than Twinkies that were simply covered in fudge. I know this, because I ate my weight in both snack cakes as a kid.  I recall that Chocodiles were slightly square shaped, while Twinkies were definitely more round. I also remember the cake being somewhat less spongier than a Twinkie. According to Hostess, the snack cake really is a Twinkie that's simply coated in chocolate. Apparently, being encased inside of a chocolate shell, changes the consistency of the sponge cake a wee bit.


Today's afternoon snack..

Fudge covered Twinkie
Yup.. looks like a Twinkie under there.

Chocodile cream filling

I've been setting aside time every afternoon to write and work on the blog.  After sitting for a couple of hours, I need something to pick me up and keep the creative juices flowing. This is the time I will usually make myself a cup of coffee and dig into my snack cake stash. I of course had to try out the Chocodiles today, and was quite pleased with what Hostess is throwing out there. The balance of all ingredients was perfectly proportioned, with plenty of cream, tons of fudge frosting, and that yellow sponge cake that balances out the sweetness a bit.

Fruit Pie the Magician Hostess Mascot
I love Chocodiles. They were always one of my favorite snack cakes throughout my entire youth, and I'm ecstatic Hostess has kept them around.  The only thing I would like to see, is Chauncey the Choco-Dile brought back. I realize that from a business standpoint, having two identical products marketed under their own brand names, definitely isn't as cost effective as what they're currently doing. Still, the Gen-Xer's that remember Hostess advertising characters like, King Ding Dong, Fruit Pie the Magician, Twinkie the Kid, Captain Cupcake and many more, sure would love to see Chauncey back on boxes where he belongs. Even if it were for a limited run on some throwback boxes like Hostess has produced in the past, I'm sure the retro loving masses would be overjoyed.


Comments