Comparing Entenmann's Cherry Fruit Pies to Hostess Fruit Pies of my youth


The Hostess Cherry Fruit Pie was just about my favorite snack cake as a kid. I remember splitting them in half and watching the cherry laden filling pour out of the pie. Then came the dark years. During the mid 2000s before Hostess went bankrupt. The company changed the recipe drastically and the pie filling resembled gummy glowing toxic sludge, devoid of any cherries. While the current recipe is better, the pies still aren't even a shadow of their former self.

Cherry Fruit Pies
I haven't seen a Hostess pie like this one since the 90s

I want so badly to be the Hostess company's biggest cheerleader, but the fact of the matter is.. a few of their products simply are not as good as they used to be.  I understand profit margins need to be met, but doing so above all else often results in an inferior product.  I could go on for hours about products and food chains that simply don't taste as good as they used to.

I vividly remember commercials and advertisements boasting that Hostess Fruit Pies had more filling than crust.  Store displays and ads in magazines & comic books always focused on the real fruit filling inside of the pies. And oh what great filling those cherry pies had.  The filling was sweet, tart, and reminiscent of a real cherry pie.

I still sample various cherry pies from time to time, hoping to find one that can hold a candle to the Hostess fruit pies of the 70s and 80s.  Usually, I'm always gravely disappointed with my findings. This weekend, I decided to give Entenmann's Cherry Pie a try.  It had been years since I had eaten any type of Entenmann's dessert, but always remembered their products being top notch.  What could go wrong?


Cherry Fruit Pie
The picture on the box looks promising



Entenmann's Fruit Pie
 Entanmann's didn't get many points on the frosting.
It was thinly layered, and inconsistent at best.


Entenmann's Fruit Pie
Not exactly like the picture on the box, but not too skimpy.
Their were real cherries in there, just not enough of them.


Cherry pit
A prize inside!

Lest you doubt the use of real cherries, here is a bonafide cherry pit that was tucked away inside of the pie! It sure did wake me up when I bit down on it. I swear I nearly cracked a crown, and that tooth ended up aching for a couple hours afterward.

So once again, I was sorely disappointing with yet another fruit pie.  But I'm not going to give up! In fact, I'm sort of inspired to double down on my efforts for a suitable replacement for the old school Hostess Cherry Fruit Pies.  If you have any suggestions for me, please.. drop them in the comments below!


Comments