Review - Hostess TWINKIES Cereal

Hostess Twinkies CerealI tried Twinkies cereal when it first came out several months back, but never wrote a review. Mainly that was because this site did not yet exist, so I revisited this cereal last week and decided to share a few thoughts.


First of all, the box design is incredible and just screams Hostess Snack Cakes. It really does give the feel of a Hostess snack cake box. Seeing that big bowl of Twinkies just pulls you right in. I think the last time I was this excited about a cereal concept, was when I was five years old and discovered Frankenberry, and again in 1977 when Cookie Crisp hit the market.

I can already visualize masses of kids screaming from their shopping carts, for their Moms to buy them boxes of Twinkies Cereal. The box art definitely does a great job of stopping you in your tracks to take a closer look.



Upon opening the box and pouring the cereal, the smell was definitely snack cake-esque. I wouldn't say that it smelled just like Twinkies, but it definitely reminded me of them. The flavor was wonderful, and made me feel like a kid again while eating it. Again, I can't say that it tastes just like a Twinkie, but it's a reasonable simile of snack cake flavor in cereal form, and I'm good with that. All in all, I'd say the cereal tasted more like creamy Twinkie filling rather than snack cake's spongy exoskeleton.

POST Cereal did an incredible job developing this product. I'm a fast eater and always have been. Strangely, cereal is one of the only things I can think of that I always eat slowly.  Usually by the last several bites, my cereal is getting soggy. This Twinkies cereal however stayed crunchy to the last bite.  It's the darndest thing, and I cannot remember the last time I've had a cereal that holds up so well to milk.

So in closing, I really do enjoy Twinkies cereal and hope that it's not here just for a limited run.  I hardly ever eat cereal, but if I were in the mood for a sweet and comforting bowl of goodness in cereal form, this is probably going to be my go-to from here on out.



Comments