Review - Tastykake Cheese Danish

I love a good Danish. More specifically, a good cheese Danish. When I was a kid I really didn't care much what kind of Danish was available, as long as it had frosting and some kind of fruit filling. My buddy used to love cheese Danishes and turned me onto them when we were kids. Back then, I didn't understand how he could love a Danish so much that wasn't full of fruit and sweetness, but as I got older and expanded my mind and tastes, I came to love them as well. 

The leading packaged Danish of the day back in the 80s was Sara Lee. To this day I'm sad to say I have yet to find a variety as good. Apparently they are still available in Canada and possibly limited areas regionally, but I haven't seen any in at least a decade.

I picked up a Tastykake Cheese Danish the other day for an afternoon snack to eat with my coffee, and it definitely looked impressive.  I've had great luck in finding quality snack cakes in the Tastykake line, so I didn't think twice about picking one up. The Danish had a lot to live up to however, as the Sara Lee cheese Danishes of my youth set the bar pretty high in regards to taste and quality.



First off, these Danishes are huge! I actually only ate half of it and saved the rest for later.



There was plenty of good quality cream cheese throughout the Danish.  I thought it was a bit skimpy at first glance, but in this case, looks were deceiving and the ratio was perfect. I didn't warm this up prior to eating it, but imagine it would've been divine if I had done so.


The Danish was hefty and big, but also had a nice flakiness and lighter texture as well.  At under $2.00 it's a great great value, and can be split between two people. I will definitely be buying these in the future, as it's the best packaged Danish I've found in quite some time.

If you have any ideas or suggestions where I can find Sara Lee Danishes, let me know! In the meantime, I will post any new Danish finds right here.




Comments