The new normal for self serve donuts and pastries?

I stepped into the corner gas station today and saw a strange sight. The donut and pastry cabinet I had so often reached into for the last few years suddenly looked much different. Kudos to Wawa convenience stores for keeping their patrons safe, but I must admit.. I wasn't enthused when I first saw the new setup.

New Covid safe Donut Self Serve Display from Wawa
The new self serve donut shelves at Wawa convenience store

As you can see, every donut and pastry is individually wrapped in its own cellophane bag.  The Plexiglas doors have also been removed. I don't know why, but this whole new set up just seemed so wrong to me. I shook my head, walked over to the snack cake section, and picked up some Tastykake Krumpets instead.

As I drove home I started analyzing my aversion to the new self serve setup. I decided it was simply the shock of seeing methodology I have seen for my entire life, suddenly being drastically changed. Like so many other things we see changing everyday, it throws you for a loop sometimes. That being said, I can't say that this is a bad idea. 

While I've always loved my self serve donut cases, I guess I was always ever so slightly weirded out by them! I would always pick my donuts from up high, and far back on their respective trays, so as to avoid choosing donuts that were sneezed on or touched by some grubby kids hands. This new setup actually eliminates that type of contamination to the food itself.

Box of beautiful donuts from Donut King Donuts in Minneola Florida

The only downside I can see, it that fresh donuts don't do so good when they're tightly wrapped and sealed. They need dry air, and sealing them up will surely affect the consistency of the donut and icing. Have you ever transported freshly iced donuts in a wax lined bag versus a dry paper box? The consistency as well as aesthetics usually suffer when the donuts are smothered, and get banged around inside of a bag. The dry paper box is the absolute perfect receptacle for transporting and holding your freshly made donuts, until such a time when you are ready to devour them. Alternatively however, I can see how muffins would benefit from this new setup, as they tend to dry out quickly.

While it still seems weird to me, this new method above all else is definitely safer. When I bring a dozen donuts to work this way, I'm sure my workmates will be able to eat them with a little more peace of mind as well. I'm for sure grabbing a couple donuts tomorrow when I stop in, for a quality taste test of sorts.

Comments