Review - New Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bites

Glazed and Chocolate Donut Bites


These little guys caught my attention in the store this week. Krispy Kreme has released boxes of individually packed 'Doughnut Bites'. Coming in at a price point of under $4.00, I decided to take a gamble on these. I've had bad luck in the past and recently with mass produced glazed doughnuts, so I picked the chocolate version rather than the 'Original Glazed' and hoped for the best.



I was surprised to find printed individual packs inside of the box rather than clear cellophane packages. This move was most likely done to make the packs easily adaptable for rack sales in convenience stores etc.



So as you can see, these don't look much like their counterparts featured on the front of the box, which look more like doughnut holes. I was already almost regretting my purchase when I saw there was a gooey glaze of some sort on these Doughnut Bites. They are definitely a bit messy, so get ready to wipe your fingers after handling them.

As for my thoughts on these bites.. I truly did enjoy them. They tasted much like something you would buy freshly made in a Krispy Kreme store. They were a little messy, but in a good way. 

These bite sized morsels of goodness also tasted like something you would make at home. Reminiscent of a brownie, the chocolaty flavor shined, and the glaze on the outside was the perfect compliment to the slightly drier consistency of the doughnut bite.

This is one of those rare instances where a mass produced snack cake doesn't taste artificial. It's got everything to do with the ingredients used to make these snacks. Good old fashioned sugar is used rather than high fructose corn syrup, and there are no artificial colors or flavors.  Upon checking the expiration date, the best if used by date, appears to cover a range of three weeks. This tells me that there are more natural ingredients and less stabilizers and preservatives used, and it's obvious when you taste them.

All in all I loved these snacks. A pack of these in the afternoon or evening with tea or coffee would be sublime. If I ever eat them on-the-go, I'll make sure to just crack open the end of the pack and pop them into my mouth with out handling them. I'll definitely be buying these again, and may even give the original glazed bites a try.


Comments