Review - Tastykake Boston Creme Honey Bun

One of my least favorite snack cakes are Honey Buns. It's not that I dislike them, but they are usually my last choice for a snack cake selection. I saw these Boston Creme Honey Buns on the shelf recently, and picked one up to try.  Here are my findings..

Chocolate Iced Boston Creme Honey Bun

The chocolate icing on the creme filled pie was a wee bit dinged up, but I was impressed on how in tact it was, as I've seen much worse in my time.

Chocolate iced Honey Bun


Honey BunSo I wasn't expecting a ton of creme in this Honey Bun, but was still disappointed upon cutting the cake in half. I mentioned earlier that Honey Buns are one of my least favorite snack cakes.  That's usually because they are way too dense and the stickiness of the honey or glaze they often top it with, congeals into the top layer of the bun.  If I can microwave the Honey Bun and eat it with a fork, it's no problem. A cold Honey Bun however, is just not enjoyable for me to eat personally. Microwaving this Bun was not an option, as it would obliterate the nice layer of icing on top, and ruin the Boston Creme.

I noticed right away that the bun was pretty dense and heavy. The inside of the bun was more bread-like, kind of like a cinnamon roll. All in all, I wasn't a big fan of this Honey Bun. It was too dry, and would've definitely been better with more creme filling.  That being said, while the chocolate icing was nice, but there was too much sweetness in the bites where you got both creme and icing in the same bite.

Buns like this are one of those snack cakes that are best left to bakeries and donut shops.  Similar to glazed donuts, they are very hard to adapt into packaged form with a shelf life. I'm sure these are amazing fresh off of the production line. Fresh off of the convenience store shelf.. not so much.

Comments